NEW ORLEANS, LA – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team finished with an undefeated Spring Break trip, running its streak to nine straight wins with a 7-0 sweep of the University of New Orleans. The Bulls will begin Mid-American Conference play next weekend.
Buffalo swept through doubles competition as the team of juniors Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas won at first doubles, 8-1. Anamaria Candanoza and Gopika Kapoor picked up an 8-4 win at second doubles and Tamara Markovic and Marta Stoyanova won at third doubles, 8-3.
The domination continued into singles play where Buffalo won all six matches in straight sets. Shah picked up a 6-0, 6-2 victory at first singles, while Podlas dropped just two games and won at second singles, 6-1, 6-1. Markovic was the only player to go into a tiebreaker as she won at third singles, 6-2, 7-6 (12-10). Canadanoza won her contest at fourth singles, 6-4, 6-0 and Kapoor picked up a victory at fifth singles, 6-0, 6-2. Stoyanova completed the sweep with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at sixth singles.
"We came out very strong today and played disciplined from the very beginning," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "We were able to control every point and didn't let the elements interfere with our strategies. Overall, I was very pleased with our performance this trip and this is an excellent way for us to get ready for our MAC competition."
The Bulls open Mid-American Conference play at home on March 23 as they host Northern Illinois.
Buffalo 7, New Orleans 0
Mar 14, 2013 at New Orleans, La. (University Tennis Center)
1. Tanvi Shah (BUF) def. Marta Sans (UNO) 6-0, 6-2
2. Miranda Podlas (BUF) def. Kristina Martic (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
3. Tamara Markovic (BUF) def. Soledad Calderon (UNO) 6-2, 7-6 (12-10)
4. Anamaria Candanoza (BUF) def. Fanny Benincasa (UNO) 6-4, 6-0
5. Gopika Kapoor (BUF) def. Paula Jimenez (UNO) 6-0, 6-2
6. Marta Stoyanova (BUF) def. Victoria Svensson (UNO) 6-2, 6-3
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (BUF) def. Kristina Martic/Soledad Calderon (UNO) 8-1
2. Anamaria Candanoza/Gopika Kapoor (BUF) def. Marta Sans/Fanny Benincasa (UNO) 8-4
3. Tamara Markovic/Marta Stoyanova (BUF) def. Paula Jimenez/Victoria Svensson (UNO) 8-3