Bulls Remain Unbeaten With 4-3 Road Win At Louisiana Lafayette
LAFAYETTE, LA – Playing outdoors and away from the friendly confines of the Miller Tennis Center for the first time this Spring, the University at Buffalo women's tennis team ran its unbeaten streak to eight with a hard-fought 4-3 victory at Louisiana Lafayette on Tuesday afternoon.
The Ragin' Cajuns took the doubles point, sweeping through the three matches and actually handing UB's number one team its first loss in dual competition. However, the Bulls came back to win four of the six singles matches to keep the streak alive.
Junior Tanvi Shah won easily at first singles as she lost just one game in a 6-1, 6-0 victory, which tied the match up quickly. After Louisiana won at fourth singles, Buffalo tied it up again as freshman Gopika Kapoor won at sixth singles, 6-2, 6-2. Junior Miranda Podlas followed that up with a straight sets win at second singles, coming back in both sets to win 6-4, 7-5 and give UB the 3-2 lead. The Ragin' Cajuns tied it back up with a three-set win at fifth singles, but the Bulls leaned on senior Tamara Markovic, who clinched the victory with a 7-5, 3-6, 6-4 win.
"This was a fantastic victory for us," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "Once we got over being outdoors for the first time we fought so hard. It was tough early on for us to adjust to the elements of playing outdoors, but to our team's credit, they just kept on fighting."
The Bulls have one more match on their Spring Break trip, which will be Thursday at New Orleans.
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Sophie Van den Aarssen (UL) 6-1, 6-0
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Nicole Breaux (UL) 6-4, 7-5
3. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
4. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Laura Fernandez (UB) 6-4, 6-2
5. Bailey VanDyke (UL) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
6. Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Hannah Appleyard (UL) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,4,6,2,5,3
1. Sophie Van den Aarssen/Nicole Breaux (UL) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) 8-4
2. Melissa Burckhartt/Juliette Clement (UL) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Gopika Kapoor (UB) 8-5
3. Bailey VanDyke/Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) def. Laura Fernandez/Marta Stoyanova (UB) 8-6