SEVENTH HEAVEN: Bulls Remain Unbeaten With 6-1 Win Over NJIT
WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team remained unbeaten on Sunday afternoon as they defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), 6-1. The victory was UB's seventh straight to open the season. This was also UB's fifth straight 6-1 decision.
The Bulls dominated doubles play as they picked up wins at first and second doubles. UB's first duo of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas and second team of Anamaria Candanoza both won matches, 8-3, and the Bulls were leading in the third match when the doubles contest was called so singles play could begin.
The Bulls won five of the six singles matches to take the overall contest convincingly. UB began with a win at third singles as Tamara Markovic won, 6-2, 6-4. Sophomore Laura Fernandez followed it up with a win at fourth singles, 6-1, 7-6 (6-4) and then UB clinched the point with a three-set win at second singles, 7-6 (9-7), 4-6, 6-2. Three of the matches went into third sets as the Bulls continued to build on their lead with a win at first and sixth singles. Shah won her contest 4-6, 7-5, 6-4 and Kapoor won in straight sets, 6-1, 7-6 (6-2). The Highlanders won their lone match in three sets at fifth singles.
"It was a well fought day and we battled to the end in each match," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "We were mentally focused on the strategy to win and we stuck to it."
After beginning with seven matches at home, UB heads to the road for a pair of matches over Spring Break. The Bulls will face Lousiana-Lafayette on March 12 and New Orleans on March 14.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Ksenia Kuzmenko/Jana Luste (NJIT), 8-3
2. Anamaria Canadanoza/Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Natalia Melibeu/Carolina Zanotta (NJIT), 8-3
3. Laura Fernandez/Marta Stoyanova (UB) led Monika Graff/Hannelore MacDonald (NJIT, 7-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Ksenia Kuzmenko (NJIT), 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def, Monika Graff (NJIT), 7-6 (9-7), 4-6, 6-2
3. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Jana Luste, 6-2, 6-4
4. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Natalia Melibeu (NJIT), 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Martina Tripcovici (NJIT) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) 6-7 (9-7), 6-2, 10-8
6. Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Carolina Zanotta (NJIT), 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
Order of Finish: 3,4,2,16,5