WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis teams claimed the top four matches in singles, defeating Pittsburgh in its spring opener, 4-3, at the Miller Tennis Center. The victory improves Buffalo's record to 2-0 on the season.
The Panthers took the doubles point to lead early in the match, winning contests at second and third doubles. The Bulls claimed victory in first singles as the team of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas defeated Jocelyn Lu and Taylor Washington, 8-5., the first loss for the Pittsburgh duo this season. It would be a successful day for Podlas and Shah, who both won their singles matches as well.
Pittsburgh opened up a 2-0 lead in the match with a win at sixth singles, but Podlas got the Bulls on the board at second singles as she defeated Lu, 6-1, 6-1. Shah tied up the match with a victory at first singles, defeating Washington, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4. Pittsburgh regained a 3-2 lead with a three-set victory at fifth singles, but the Bulls tied it up again as senior Tamara Markovic defeated Molly Wickman at fourth singles, 6-1, 6-3. That victory set up a winner take all match at third singles where sophomore transfer Laura Fernandez was facing Gabrielle Catanzariti. Fernandez dropped the first set, but came back to win the second set 6-4 and force a third set. That final set also went down to the wire before Fernandez claimed a 7-4 win in a third-set tiebreaker after being down 4-2 early to clinch the victory for the Bulls.
"The discipline, work ethic and determination that our team showed was outstanding and really paid off in the end," said head coach Kristen Ortman. " Tennis is a game of desire and today we just wanted it more."
The Bulls remain home next Sunday when they host West Virginia at the Miller Tennis Center at 11:30 am.
Buffalo 4, Pittsburgh 3
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Jocelyn Lu/Taylor Washington (PITT), 8-5
2. Amanda Wickman/Molly Wickman (PITT) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Laura Fernandez (UB), 8-4
3. Gabrielle Catanzariti/Kimmy Borza (PITT) def. Tamara Markovic/Marta Stoyanova (UB), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Taylor Washington (PITT), 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Jocelyn Lu (PTT), 6-1, 6-1
3. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Gabrielle Catanzariti (PITT), 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (4)
4. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Molly Wickman (PITT), 6-1, 6-3
5. Karma Parbhu (PITT) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Amanda Wickman (PITT) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-0, 6-3
E Shir Aharon (UB) def. Kimmy Borza (PITT), 8-4
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 5, 4, 3