BUFFALO, NY – Playing under the lights at the University Tennis Center, the University at Buffalo women's tennis team swept Big Four rival Niagara, winning all three doubles matches and all six singles matches in straight sets. The victory was UB's first of the year.
In doubles, the Bulls got a solid contribution from each of their three teams as the trio combined to lose just three games all evening. UB's top squad of juniors Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas won 8-1, while Tamara Markovic and transfer Laura Fernandez won at second doubles, 8-2. Marta Stoyanova and Anamaria Candanoza capped it off with an 8-0 victory.
It was the first of two shutouts from Candanoza, who led UB in singles with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at fifth singles. Fernandez also swept her opponent 6-0, 6-0 at sixth singles. Shah won her match at first singles, 6-0, 6-1, while newcomer Gopkia Kapoor scored a 6-2, 6-2 win at second singles. Podlas has moved up and played at third singles this evening as she won 6-1, 6-2, while Markovic won at fourth singles, 6-2, 6-4. Playing in an exhibition match was Stoyanova, who won her match, 6-1, 6-1.
"I thought tonight was a great experience for our team to get out under the lights and play on our home courts," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "We were able to get contributions from everyone on the team and that was very encouraging to see so early in the year."
The Bulls will return to action on Oct. 19 when they head to West Point, NY for the ITA Regional Championships
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Hilary Hansen/Iva Celan (NU), 8-1
2. Tamara Markovic/Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Ashley Ta/Maria Ortiz (NU), 8-2
3. Marta Stoyanova/Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Viki Sardellitti/Rachel Zilka (NU), 8-0
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Hilary Hansen (NU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Gopkia Kapoor (UB) def. Ashley Ta (NU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Iva Celan (NU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Maria Ortiz, 6-2, 6-4
5. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Viki Sardellitti (NU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Rachel Zilka (NU), 6-0, 6-0