Bulls End Regular Season With 5-2 Win At Northern Illinois
DEKALB, IL – The University at Buffalo tennis team earned the #6 seed in the upcoming Mid-American Conference Tournament with a 5-2 victory on Sunday afternoon at Northern Illinois. The win gives the Bulls a 3-5 conference record, which ties them with NIU for sixth, but Buffalo has the tiebreaker due to today's victory.
Northern Illinois got out to the early lead as it swept through doubles, but Buffalo came back to dominate singles competition. UB won five of the six singles matches, with its only loss coming in a three-set match. Sophomore Tanvi Shah won easily at first singles as she defeated Nelle Youel, 6-0, 6-4. Fellow sophomore Marta Stoyanova won her contest at second singles as she defeated Sara McLaughlin, 6-3, 7-6. Tamara Markovic also picked up a win at third singles as she defeated Haley Dekkinga, 6-1, 6-4. Following a three-set loss at fourth singles, Miranda Podlas defeated Arantza De La Torre at fifth singles, 6-4, 6-2. Anamaria Candanoza picked up her win at sixth singles over Stephanie McDonald, 7-5, 6-2.
"We were able to battle some tough conditions out there and come out with a very important win on the road," said Kathy Twist. "This was a good test for us leading up to the MAC Tournament and I think it gives us some confidence heading into the weekend."
The Bulls will remain in DeKalb, IL this week as they prepare for the 2012 MAC Tournament, which is hosted by Northern Illinois. Buffalo will play Western Michigan, who is the #3 seed in the tournament. The Bulls won at WMU earlier this year.
1. Sara McLaughlin/Emily Rogers (NIU) def. Kira Golenko/Miranda Podlas (UB), 8-5
2. Nelle Youel/Arantza De La Torre (NIU) def. Tamara Markovic/Marta Stoyanova (UB), 8-5
3. Haley Dekkinga/Stephanie McDonald (NIU) def. Tanvi Shah/Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 8-3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Nelle Youel (NIU), 6-0, 6-4
2. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Sara McLaughlin (NIU), 6-3, 7-6
3. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Mary Malkin (NIU) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-0, 4-6, 7-6
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Stephanie McDonald (NIU), 7-5, 6-2