Bulls Fall At Akron, 6-1
AKRON, OH – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team sent three singles matches to three sets against the defending MAC Champion Akron Zips, but fell 6-1 on Saturday afternoon at the LaTuchie Tennis Center. The loss drops UB to 6-9 on the season and 2-3 in MAC play.
The Zips swept through doubles competition as they had little trouble in any of the three matches. They then won straight set singles matches at first, second and fourth singles, which clinched the match for them. Buffalo sent the other three singles matches into straight sets, picking up a win at fifth singles. Sophomore Miranda Podlas defeated Angelina Jogasuria, 4-6, 7-6 (4), 10-6 to put the Bulls on the board. At sixth singles Anamaria Candanoza overcame a first set loss to win the second 6-3, but she lost in her super tiebreaker 10-6. Junior Tamara Markovic won her first set 6-2 against Prang Pantusart at third singles, but lost the second set in a tiebreaker and then the third set in a super tiebreaker, 11-9.
The Bulls will return home next weekend for their final two home contests of the season. Buffalo hosts Toledo on Friday at 1:00 pm.
Akron 6, Buffalo 1
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Miranda Podlas/Kira Golenko (UB) 8-4
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Tamara Markovic/Anamaria Candanoza (UB) 8-2
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Tanvi Shah (UB) 6-4, 6-0
2. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB) 7-5, 6-0
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Tamara Markovic (UB) 2-6, 7-6 (3), 1-0 (9)
4. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Kira Golenko (UB) 6-3, 6-0
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) 4-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (6)
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (6)
Order of finish:
Doubles – 3, 2, 1
Singles – 2, 4, 1, 5, 6, 3