KALAMAZOO, MI – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team had one of its biggest regular season victories in recent memory on Saturday afternoon as they defeated Western Michigan, 5-2, at the West Hills Athletic Club. The win against the Broncos was their first ever in Kalamazoo and just their third ever overall.
The Bulls won the doubles point as they shuffled their pairings around from yesterday. Following a WMU victory at second doubles, UB's new top pair of Kira Golenko and Miranda Podlas defeated Nini Sujashvili and April Kerr, 8-4, which left the third doubles match as the tie-breaking point. UB's team of Tanvi Shah and Marta Stoyanova came away with a hard fought 9-7 win over Caroline Aleck and Kathleen Hawkins, giving the Bulls the early lead.
In singles action, Buffalo jumped out to a 2-0 lead as Stoyanova defeated Rachel Denny at second singles, 6-4, 6-2. The Broncos then won matches at third and fourth singles, tying things up at 2-2. The Bulls regained a 3-2 lead as Shah defeated Sujashvili at first singles, 7-5, 6-1 and UB clinched the match at sixth singles as Anamaria Candanoza defeated Aleck, 6-4, 6-3. Podlas also went on to win her match at fifth singles over Jill Pastunink, 6-4, 0-6, 7-6 (1), which was the only match that went into three sets.
"Today's win was just a total team effort," said head coach Kathy Twist. "We shook up the doubles lineup a little bit and I was pleased with how we started off. Yesterday we were a little flat and I think our team came out with something to prove. We just fired on all cylinders all the way down the lineup."
The Bulls will remain on the road next weekend when they face Akron on Saturday at 1:00 pm.
Buffalo 5, Western Michigan University 2
1. Kira Golenko/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Nini Sujashvili/April Kerr (WMU) 8-4
2. Maria Nivia/Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Anamaria Candanoza/Tamara Markovic (UB) 8-3
3. Tanvi Shah/Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Caroline Aleck/Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 9-7
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Rachel Denny (WMU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB) 6-0, 6-4
4. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) def. Kira Golenko (UB) 6-2, 6-2
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-4, 0-6, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,4,3,1,6,5