HILTON HEAD, SC - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team put forth a dominating performance on Friday afternoon as they defeated North Central Texas College, 7-0. The victory ends UB's spring break action with a 2-1 record.
For the first time this weekend the Bulls were actually able to get doubles in, and responded by winning all three matches. Marta Stoyanova and Tamara Markovic had an 8-4 victory at first doubles, while Kira Golenko and Anamaria Candanoza moved up to second doubles and notched an 8-5 win. Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas had no problem in their match at third doubles with an 8-0 shutout.
In singles play the Bulls took all six matches including the first victory for freshman Shir Aharon at sixth singles, who won, 6-4, 6-3. Stoyanova won at first singles, 6-1, 6-4, while Markovic had a shutout at second singles with the 6-0, 6-0 sweep. Golenko picked up a win at third singles, while Podlas and Candanoza won their matches at fourth and fifth singles, respectively. All six matches were won in straight sets.
The Bulls will now return home and begin Mid-American Conference play next weekend. UB hosts Ball State next Friday at 1:00 pm.
1. Marta Stoyanova/Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Melissa Telfer/Jessica Cossari (NCTC), 8-4
2. Kira Golenko/Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Priti Rijal/Sarah Palacio (NCTC), 8-5
3. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Katie Metcalf/Kaitlin Hillebrand (NCTC), 8-0
1. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Melissa Telfer (NCTC), 6-1, 6-4
2. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Kaitlin Hillebrand (NCTC), 6-0, 6-0
3. Kira Golenko (UB) def. Priti Rijal (NCTC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Jessica Cossari (NCTC), 6-2, 6-0
5. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Sarah Palacio (NCTC), 6-1, 6-3
6. Shir Aharon (UB) def. Katie Metcalf (NCTC), 6-4, 6-3