HILTON HEAD, SC – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team continued Spring Break play in Hilton Head, SC on Wednesday morning, falling 4-1 to South Carolina St., who remained undefeated through 10 matches. For the second straight day, weather forced changes in the schedule, which prevented the teams from playing doubles.
The Bulls managed to take three matches into a third set against the undefeated Bulldogs, but picked up just one victory at fifth singles. Sophomore Miranda Podlas defeated Victoriia Khatcei, 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 for her second win in as many days and her eighth of the year. Junior Tamara Markovic also went three sets in her match at third singles, while sophomore Tanvi Shah was in the third set at first singles when play was halted.
UB will have an off day tomorrow before wrapping play up on Friday against North Central Texas College.
South Carolina St. 4, Buffalo 1
1. Suhalia Jad (SCSU) led Tanvi Shah (UB), 4-6, 6-2, 3-2
2. Akilah James (SCSU) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-0 6-0
3. Maria Craciun (SCSU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
4. Sabrina Mendez (SCSU) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-1, 6-3
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Victoriia Khatcei (SCSU), 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
6. Laura Boseneag (SCSU) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-2 6-3