HILTON HEAD, SC – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team picked up its second straight victory on Tuesday afternoon as it defeated Gardner-Webb, 4-2, to begin its three-match trip over Spring Break. Due to inclement weather, the start time of the match was pushed back, and due to time restrictions, only singles matches were played.
The Bulls took four of the six singles matches, including three in straight sets. Sophomore Anamaria Candanoza won her match easily at sixth singles as she defeated Yasmin Doost, 6-0, 6-0. At fifth singles, fellow sophomore Miranda Podlas defeated Ronia Hutterli, 6-3, 6-4, while Kira Golenko picked up a win at fourth singles over Jenny Lunde, 6-4, 7-6 (6). The Bulldogs picked up a straight sets victory at third singles and a three-set win at second singles, but the Bulls got the clinching point at first singles as sophomore Tanvi Shah defeated Erica White, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4.
The Bulls will continue action tomorrow morning when they face Savannah State at 8:15 am.
Buffalo 4, Gardner-Webb 2
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Erica White (GWU), 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
2. Alice Hopkins (GWU) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-7 (2), 6-1, 6-2
3. Ioana Oprea (GWU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 6-4, 6-4
4. Kira Golenko (UB) def. Jenny Lunde (GWU), 6-4, 7-6 (6)
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Ronia Hutterli (GWU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Yasmin Doost (GWU), 6-0, 6-0
E Tavenner Black (GWU) def. Shir Aharon (UB), 6-4, 6-3