Bulls Drop Tight Contest At Temple, 4-3
PHILADELPHIA, PA - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team fell just short of the weekend sweep this morning as they fell to Temple, 4-3. The Bulls claimed the doubles point, but won just two of the six contests in the singles.
For the second straight day, the Bulls played singles first. Junior Tamara Markovic continued her strong weekend as she picked up another win at third singles with a straight sets victory, defeating Alicia Doms, 7-6 (2), 6-4. The Bulls also won at fifth singles as sophomore Miranda Podlas defeated Agnese Rozite, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
However, Temple won the other four matches and had already clinched the match prior to doubles play. UB dropped a tough match at first doubles, but picked up wins at second and third doubles. At number two, Markovic and sophomore Marta Stoyanova won their match in a tiebreaker at 8-7 (6), while UB also won at third doubles as Annamaria Candanoza and Kira Golenko won, 8-3.
The Bulls return home next Saturday as they host Binghamton on Saturday, March 3 at 1:00 pm
1. Yana Mavrina (Temple) def. Tanvi Shah (UB), 6-2, 6-3
2. Paola Calderon (Temple) def. Marta Stoyanova, 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Alicia Doms (Temple), 7-6 (2), 6-4
4. Jordan Batey (Temple) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-2, 6-3
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Agnese Rozite (Temple), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6. Cristina Grimaldi (Temple) def. Annamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-4, 6-1
E Carly Bohman (Temple) def. Shir Aharon (UB), 8-2
1. Agnese Rozite/Rebecca Breland (Temple) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB), 8-5
2. Marta Stoyanova/Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Yana Mavrina/Christa Grimaldi (Temple), 8-7 (6)
3. Annamaria Candanoza/Kira Golenko (UB) def. Maame Ama Osei/Carly Bohman (Temple), 8-3