PROVIDENCE, RI – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team put forth a spirited effort on Friday afternoon, falling to Brown, the 51st-ranked team in the nation, 6-1. The Bulls were playing the first of two straight weekend matches in New England.
In doubles action, UB's number one team of sophomores Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas gave it all they had against Jessica Harrow and Cassandra Herzberg, falling 8-6. Brown claimed the doubles point after also picking up victories at second and third doubles.
In singles action, Shah picked up her first victory of the spring, winning a three-set match over Misia Kraskowski at first singles. Shah took the first set 6-4, before dropping the second one 2-6. She responded in style though, winning the third 6-0. Also taking her match into three sets was junior Tamara Markovic, who responded after losing the first set at third singles by winning the second set 6-2. Markovic would drop the third set to Sarah Kandath, 6-4. Making her debut in the starting lineup was freshman Shir Aharon, who played at sixth singles for the Bulls.
The Bulls will be back in action tomorrow morning when they face Boston University at 10:00 am.
Brown 6, Buffalo 1
1. Jessica Harrow/Cassandra Herzberg (Brown) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB), 8-6
2. Misia Kraskowski/Ariel Caldwell (Brown) def. Marta Stoyanova/Tamara Markovic (UB), 8-1
3. Nikita Uberoi/Sarah Kandath (Brown) def. Kira Golenko/Annamaria Candanoza (UB), 8-2
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Misia Krakowski (Brown), 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
2. Jessica Harrow (Brown) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-2, 6-1
3. Sarah Kandath (Brown) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 6-2 2-6, 6-4
4. Laura Wiley (Brown) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-4, 6-0
5. Julie Flanzer (Brown) def. Annamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-2, 6-2
6. Nimita Uberoi (Brown) def. Shir Aharon (UB), 6-0, 6-0