WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team claimed four of the six singles victories on Sunday afternoon to come back and defeat Binghamton, 4-3, at the Miller Tennis Center. With the win, the Bulls improve to a perfect 3-0 at home.
The Bearcats took the first point of the contest as they were dominant in two of the three doubles matches. Binghamton took both the second and third doubles contests, before UB finished it up with a win at first doubles as Diana Popescu and Miranda Podlas defeated Anna Edelman and Yagmur Gone, 9-7.
In singles, the Bulls needed to stage a huge comeback after dropping matches at first and second singles and the first set in matches at third and fifth singles. With UB down 3-0 in the contest, it got on the scoreboard as Podlas took her match at sixth singles over Gone, 6-2, 6-0. The Bulls then won at fourth singles as Kira Golenko defeated Marina Bykovskaya, 6-1, 6-2 to pull within 3-2. The Bulls still stood a chance as both Marta Stoyanova and Tamara Markovic were able to force third sets in their respective contests. Stoyanova claimed hers first at third singles as she defeated Yulia Smirinova, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4, which tied the match up at 3-3. Markovic had no problem with her opponent, Emma Leibowicz in the third as she won her match at fifth singles, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1, clinching the comeback victory for the Bulls.
"I am extremely pleased with the total team effort today," said head coach Kathy Twist. "Every player contributed in a very good win over one of the top teams in the Northeast.
The Bulls well now head down south for Spring Break where they will begin play against Boston University on March 13.
Buffalo 4, Binghamton 3
1. Diana Popescu/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Anna Edelman/Yagmur Gone (Bing), 9-7
2. Jillian Santos/Yulia Smirnova (Bing) def. Tamara Markovic/Marta Stoyanova (UB), 8-0
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Anna Edelman (Bing) def. Diana Popescu (UB), 6-1, 6-3
2. Jillian Santos (Bing) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 6-3, 6-0
3. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Yulia Smirinova (Bing), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Kira Golenko (UB) def. Marina Bykovskaya (Bing), 6-1, 6-2
5. Tamara Markvic (UB) def. Emma Leibowicz (Bing), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Yagmur Gone (Bing), 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1,2,6,4,3,5