Bulls Claim Second Straight Over Big East Foes
WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team completed its weekend sweep of the Big East on Sunday as UB defeated Pittsburgh, 4-3. With the win, the Bulls improve to 2-1 on the season.
Unlike on Friday the Bulls dropped the doubles point and had to fight back in singles. The Bulls lone doubles win came in second doubles as Diana Popescu and Marta Stoyanova defeated Jocelyn Lu and Kimmy Borza, 8-4. The other two contests were extremely tight with the Bulls dropping both 9-7.
The Bulls came back in singles to take each of the first four matches that finished. The first victory came from freshman Miranda Podlas, who defeated Minh Evans at sixth singles, 6-0, 6-0. Popescu was the second UB player to finish as she defeated Gabi Catanzariti at second singles 6-4, 6-2. The sophomore tandem of Kira Golenko and Tamara Markovic then clinched the match for the Bulls. Golenko won first at fifth singles, with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Karma Parbhu and then Markovic clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Borza. The Panthers would claim the singles matches at first and third for the final margin.
The Bulls are back in action in two weeks when they play their third straight Big East team. The Bulls travel to Syracuse on Feb. 12.
1. Elizabeth Adams/Gabi Catanzariti (Pitt) def. Aleksandra Petrova/Miranda Podlas (UB), 9-7
2. Diana Popescu/Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Jocelyn Lu/Kimmy Borza (Pitt), 8-4
3. Karma Parbhu/Taylor Washington (Pitt) def. Tamara Markovic/Shelby Bates (UB), 9-7
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1. Elizabeth Adams (Pitt) def. Aleksanda Petrova (UB), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 13-11
2. Diana Popescu (UB) def. Gabi Catanzariti (Pitt), 6-4, 6-2
3. Jocelyn Lu (Pitt) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 7-6 (4), 6-4
4. Tamara Markovic(UB) def. Kimmy Borza (Pitt), 6-2, 6-2
5. Kira Golenko (UB) de. Karma Parbhu (Pitt), 6-3, 6-3
6. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Minh Evans (Pitt), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 2, 5, 4, 3, 1