KALAMAZOO, MI – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team dropped another heartbreaker on Friday afternoon as it lost to Western Michigan, 4-3 at the Sorensen Courts. The Broncos pulled out a tough doubles point as the two teams split the six singles matches. The Bulls and Broncos have split their last four matches in the series, all by a 4-3 score.
The Broncos came out on top in doubles after a marathon match at first doubles. The Broncos took the second doubles match first, but UB responded with a win at third doubles as Diana Popescu and Diana Toia defeated Yumi Matsuto and Maria Nivia, 9-7. At first doubles, WMU was able to overcome a 7-6 deficit, winning three straight games and the doubles point.
The Bulls conclude the regular season tomorrow afternoon at Bowling Green. MAC Championships get underway next weekend at Western Michigan.
1. Emily Dudzik/Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 9-7
2. April Kerr/Amanda Moccia (WMU) def. Tamara Markovic/Anna Subenkova (UB), 8-5
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) def. Yumi Matsuto/Maria Nivia (WMU), 9-7
Order of Finish: 2,3,1
1. Denise Harijanto (UB) def. Emily Dudzik (WMU), 6-2, 6-0
2. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Yumi Matsuto (WMU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Diana Popescu (UB) def. Amanda Moccia (WMU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Diana Toia (UB), 6-0, 6-0
5. Maggie Remynse (WMU) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-4, 6-3
6. Jill Pastunink (WMU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 0-6, 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,4,2,6,5,3