BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team came up on the short end of nearly a five-hour match against Toledo on Saturday afternoon, falling 4-3. The Rockets won the doubles point as the two teams split the six singles matches.
Toledo was able to get the early lead, claiming doubles victories at first and second. UB's third doubles team of Diana Popescu and Diana Toiawon easily, defeating Melissa Reynolds and Silvia Carvajal, 8-1.
The two teams split the six singles matches as the teams traded the overall lead back and forth. The Bulls won the first two singles matches as freshman Tamara Markovic won at sixth singles with an easy 6-0, 6-0 win. Junior Aleksandra Petrova gave the Bulls a 2-1 lead with her 6-4, 6-0 victory at third singles. Petrova trailed 4-1 in the first set before winning 11 straight games to close out the match. Toledo regained the lead at 3-2 with wins at fifth and second singles, but the Bulls would tie it up with a win at first singles as senior Denise Harijantodefeated Martina Wodzinski, 6-1, 6-4. The match came down to fourth singles, where Toia was unable to capitalize on a first-set victory, falling in the only three-set match of the day.
Toledo 4, Buffalo 3
1. Martina Wodzinski/Maha Guirguis (UT) def. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 8-6
2. Nadia Zoubareva/Ashley Frey (UT) def. Kira Golenko/Anna Subenkova (UB), 8-4
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) def. Melissa Reynolds/Silvia Carvajal (UT), 8-1
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1. Denise Harijanto (UB) def. Martina Wodzinski (UT), 6-1, 6-4
2. Maha Guirguis (UT) def. Diana Popescu (UB), 6-3, 7-5
3. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Ashley Frey (UT), 6-4, 6-0
4. Nadia Zoubareva (UT) def. Diana Toia (UB), 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
5. Rashell Washington (UT) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-2, 7-5
6. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Silvia Carvajal (UT), 6-0 6-0
E Anna Subenkova (UB) def. Melissa Reynolds (UT), 8-6
Order of finish: 6,3,5,2,1,4