NEW YORK, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team lost a dual meet for the first time this season on Saturday evening as the Bulls fell 4-3 to Columbia. The loss drops UB's record to 3-1 on the year.
UB was able to get out to an early lead on the night as it took the doubles point from the Lions, sweeping all three contests. Diana Toiaand Diana Popescu got it started with an 8-5 win at third doubles and UB's number one team of Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrovaclinched the point with an 8-4 victory. Buffalo's freshman duo of Kira Golenko and Tamara Markovic won at second doubles with an 8-7 victory.
The Bulls are back home on Saturday afternoon when they host Syracuse at the Miller Tennis Center at 11:00 am.
Columbia 4, Buffalo 3
1. Harijanto/Petrova (UB) def. Bartnik/Donovan (CU), 8-4
2. Golenko/Markovic (UB) def. Makarova/Davis (CU), 8-7
3. Toia/Popescu (UB) def. Natalia Christenson/Matache, 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1*, 2
1. Nicole Bartnik (CU) def. Denise Harijanto (UB), 6-3, 6-1
2. Natasha Makarova (CU) def. Diana Popescu (UB), 6-2, 6-2
3. Chelsea Davis (CU) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 6-1, 6-4
4. Kira Golenko (UB) def. Carling Donovan (CU), 6-4, 7-6 (1)
5. Eliza Matache (CU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 6-1
6. Diana Toia (UB) def. Diana Shapoval (CU), 6-4, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3, 6, 4, 5*