Bulls Drop 6-1 Men’s Tennis Decision To Penn
PHILADELPHIA, PA – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to the University of Pennsylvania on Sunday afternoon at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. The Bulls are 2-1 in spring play.
Damien David and Akhil Mehta scored a doubles win in the number one match for the Bulls. The duo knocked off Jeremy Court and Nikola Kocovic in a 7-5 tiebreaker to take the match 8-7. The Quakers took the other two doubles contests by 8-2 margins.
In singles play, Sebastian Ionescu remained undefeated as a Bull with a third-set super-tiebreaker win over Ismael Lahlou. Ionescu scored a 10-6 win the super-tiebreaker.
"We have a very young team and today the inexperience showed," said head coach Lee Nickell. "We have a very resilient team and we'll bounce back for Cornell."
The Bulls will get a crack at Cornell, another Ivy League program, in Ithaca, NY on February 10.
Penn 6, Buffalo 1
1. Damien David/Akhil Mehta (UB) def. Jeremy Court/Nikola Kocovic (Penn), 8-7
2. Austin Kaplan/Zach Katz (Penn) def. Sebastian Ionescu/Ashwin Sharma (UB), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Jeremy Court (Penn) def. Vusa Hove (UB), 6-4, 6-2
2. Nikola Kocovic (Penn) def. Damien David (UB), 7-5, 6-3
3. Sebastian Ionescu (UB) def. Ismael Lahlou (Penn); 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (6)
4. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) def. Pablo Alvarez (UB), 6-4, 6-2
5. Vim De Alwis (Penn) def. Ashwin Sharma (UB), 6-4, 6-2
6. Austin Kaplan (Penn) def. Akhil Mehta (UB), 2-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (2)
Order of Finish: 4,1,2,5,3,6