Bulls Shut Out Colgate, 7-0, in Spring Opener
VERONA, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team got off to a strong start to the spring schedule Friday night with a 7-0 whitewashing of Colgate at Turning Stone Casino.
The Bulls (1-0) jumped out to an early lead as the number one and two doubles teams scored easy victories to clinch the opening point. Damien David and Akhil Mehta teamed at number one to down Nick Laub and Harry Jewett, 8-2. Newcomers Ashwin Sharma and Sebastian Ionescu scored an 8-0 shutout of Bobby Berkowitz and Archer McFall in the number two match. Under new NCAA rules, the third doubles match was stopped once UB scored the clinching point.
UB swept Colgate in singles with all six matches won in straight sets. David, Ionescu and Mehta each won a set by 6-0 scores. Ionescu allowed just one game in earning his first singles victory for the Bulls in the number three match.
The Bulls face Bryant on Saturday at 10 am.
Buffalo 7, Colgate 0
1. Damien David/Akhil Mehta (UB) d. Nick Laub/Harry Jewett (CU), 8-2
2. Ashwin Sharma/Sebastian Ionescu (UB) d. Bobby Berkowitz/Archer McFall (CU), 8-0
1. Vusa Hove (UB) d. Luke Gensburg (CU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Damien David (UB) d. Bobby Berkowitz (CU), 6-0, 6-3
3. Sebastian Ionescu (UB) d. Nick Laub (CU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Ashwin Sharma (UB) d. Alan Pleat (CU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Pablo Alvarez d. Mark Pronchick (CU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Akhil Mehta (UB) d. John Beam (CU), 6-2, 6-0