Bulls Win Fourth in a Row With 5-2 Victory at Marist
POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team won its fourth straight match on Saturday afternoon as the Bulls downed the Marist Red Foxes, 5-2, at the Marist Tennis Pavilion. The Bulls are now 5-7 as they head into Mid-American Conference play next week.
UB took two of the three doubles contests from the Red Foxes (6-5). The number one team of Damien David and Vusa Hove downed Lorenzo Rossi and Matt Himmelsbach, 8-4. The number two team of Wojciech Starakiewicz and Travis Zappia scored a win over Joris Van Eck and Will Reznek by an identical 8-4 margin. The Bulls number three tandem of Yevgeniy Jason Shkodnik and Alex Kalinin dropped their match to Dalen Klassen and Billy Bishop, also by an 8-4 count.
The Bulls took the match with four victories in singles competition. Hove, at number two, won in a tight contest with Van Eck, claiming a 7-5, 7-6 victory. Starakiewicz defeated Himmelsbach, 6-2, 6-3, at number three. Ivan Vereshchaga defeated Reznek, 6-3, 7-6, in the number four match. Kalinin, playing number five, needed three sets to defeat Klassen, 6-7, 6-3, 6-1.
"The good news is we are finding a way to win when playing poorly," said UB head coach Lee Nickell."I am very pleased with the way we are overcoming adversity. I am hopeful that we are saving our best tennis for Toledo, because if we play like we did today we are in trouble."
The Bulls host the Rockets in the MAC opener on March 31 at 1:00 pm.
Buffalo 5, Marist 2
1. Damien David/Vusa Hove (UB) def. Lorenzo Rossi/Matt Himmelsbach (MAR), 8-4
2. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Travis Zappia (UB) def. Joris Van Eck/Will Reznek (MAR), 8-4
3. Dalen Klassen/Billy Bishop (MAR) def. Yevgeniy Jason Shkodnik/Alex Kalinin (UB), 8-4
1. Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) def. Damien David (UB), 7-6, 6-2
2. Vusa Hove (UB) def. Joris Van Eck (MAR), 7-5, 7-6
3. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) def. Matt Himmelsbach (MAR), 6-2, 6-3
4. Ivan Vereshchaga (UB) def. Will Reznek (MAR), 6-3, 7-6
5. Alex Kalinin (UB) def. Dalen Klassen (MAR), 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
6. Joseph Dube (MAR) def. Yevgeniy Jason Shkodnik (UB), 6-1, 6-0