Men's Tennis Slips at Binghamton, 6-1
BINGHAMTON, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision at Binghamton on Saturday afternoon to open weekend play.
The Bulls (6-7) scored their lone victory in singles play as freshman Jason Simon scored a super-tiebreaker win over Ruben Haggai. Simon won the super-tiebreaker 10-7 after winning the opening set by a 6-4 count. Haggai won the second set, 6-2.
"We started too slow in doubles and unfortunately it carried into singles," said UB head coach Lee Nickell. "Binghamton got to the finals of the ECAC tournament this year and were the top team in the region last year, and they certainly showed that experience today. We will continue to work hard and adjust as we head into a match against Chicago State and then St. Bonaventure and Niagara this week."
The Bulls return home on Sunday morning to host Chicago State in a Mid-American Conference match.
Binghamton 6, Buffalo 1
1. Sven Vloedgraven/Gilbert Wong (BU) def. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Vusa Hove (UB), 8-6
2. Alexandre Haggai/Arnav Jain (BU) def. Marcelo Mazzetto/Travis Zappia (UB), 8-2
3. Bastian Bornkessel/Ruben Devos (BU) def. Alex Kalinin/Mitch Zenaty (UB), 8-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. #101 Sven Vloedgraven (BU) def. Wojceich Starakiewicz (UB), 6-1, 6-1
2. Arnav Jain (BU) def. Vusa Hove (UB), 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Gilbert Wong (BU) def. Marcelo Mazzetto (UB), 6-4, 6-3
4. Alexandre Haggai (BU) def. Alex Kalinin (UB), 6-0, 6-0
5. Jason Simon (Buff) def. Ruben Haggai (BU), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Ruben Devos (BU) def. Jason Shkodnik (UB), 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 6, 3, 2, 1, 5