KALAMAZOO, MI – In a rematch of last season's Mid-American Conference Tournament championship match, the University at Buffalo men's tennis team fell at Western Michigan, 7-0, as the two squads opened league play on Friday at the West Hills Athletic Club in Kalamazoo.
The Bulls (5-5, 0-1 MAC) were able to pick up a doubles win as the number one tandem of Wojciech Starakiewicz and Mitch Zenaty won in a tiebreaker. The duo improved to 4-3 as they scored a 10-7 tiebreaker win over Western Michigan's brother combination of Michael and Thomas Calderone.
The Broncos (10-8, 1-0 MAC) swept the singles matches. The lone match to go more than two sets was at number one. Starakiewicz forced a super-tiebreaker as he scored a 6-0 win in the second set against Michael Calderone. Calderone had won the opening set by a 6-4 margin. Starakiewicz was unable to maintain the momentum from his second set, however, as he fell in the breaker, 10-7.
UB travels to Toledo to face the Rockets on Sunday afternoon.
Western Michigan 7, Buffalo 0
1. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Mitch Zenaty (UB) d. Michael Calderone/Thomas Calderone (WMU), 9-8 (7)
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Michael Calderone (WMU) d. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) 6-4, 0-6, 1-0 (7)
2. Kazuya Komada (WMU) d. Vusa Hove (UB), 6-3, 6-2
3. Simon Blomberg (WMU) d. Marcelo Mazzetto (UB), 6-2, 6-1
4. Pablo Olivarez (WMU) d. Alex Kalinin (UB), 6-4, 6-3
5. Casey Cullen (WMU) d. Jason Simon (UB), 6-0, 6-2
6. Brad Noel (WMU) d. Mitch Zenaty (UB), 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: 5, 6, 3, 1, 4, 2