Men’s Tennis Team Falls at Penn State, 5-2
UNIVERSITY PARK, PA – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to Penn State on Sunday to even its record to 2-2 for the season. The Bulls picked up a pair of singles victories and won a doubles match in the contest with the Nittany Lions.
In the doubles competition, the Bulls scored a victory at number three as the tandem of Vusa Hove and George Tibil knocked off Bryan Welnetz and Chris Hasyn, 8-6. The other two matches went to Penn State (5-2) but the Bulls extended both matches as far as possible, falling at number one, 9-7 and 8-6 in the number two match.
Wojciech Starakiewicz won at first singles for the Bulls. The junior rolled past Eddie Bourchier in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, to remain perfect in dual meet competition. Starakiewicz is 3-0 in dual competition and is 8-3 overall in 2010-11.
Also picking up a singles win for the Bulls was freshman Jason Simon. Simon, playing fifth singles, downed Chris Young, 6-2, 6-4 and is 2-0 in dual play after joining the Bulls in the spring semester.
"This was a tough loss," said UB head coach Lee Nickell. "Penn State is more seasoned than us and it showed on big points. We had too many leads that we let go, but I was proud of the way we fought and our tenacity. It was also good to see Wojciech and Jason come up with big wins."
The Bulls open their home schedule the weekend of February 26 and 27 as they host Mid-American Conference rival Chicago State and Youngstown State. Both matches will be held at the Miller Tennis Center.
Penn State 5, Buffalo 2
1. Eddie Bourchier/Jason Lee (PSU) def. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Mitch Zenaty (UB), 9-7
3. Vusa Hove/George Tibil (UB) def. Bryan Welnetz/Chris Hasyn (PSU), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) def. Eddie Bourchier (PSU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) def. George Tibil (UB), 6-3, 6-3
3. Jason Lee (PSU) def. Vusa Hove (UB), 7-6 (3), 7-5
4. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Marcelo Mazzetto (UB), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jason Simon (UB) def. Chris Young (PSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Chris Hasyn (PSU) def. Travis Zappia (UB), 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6