Bulls Tame Huskies, 5-2
DEKALB, IL – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team used singles victories from five of six players to defeat Northern Illinois, 5-2, in a Mid-American Conference matchup on Sunday. The win keeps the Bulls the unbeaten in the league with a 4-0 record and guarantees UB of a first round bye in the MAC Championships.
After dropping the doubles point, the Bulls (11-5, 4-0 MAC) scored wins in the second through sixth singles matches for the victory. Four of the wins came in straight sets with number three player Kirill Kolomytsneeding a third-set super-tiebreaker to claim his win. Kolomyts downed Javier Bernabe, 10-4, in the tiebreaker after the pair had split the first two sets.
Also claiming singles wins were Marcelo Mazzetto at number two, George Tibil at number four, Vusa Hove at number five and Alex Kalinin at number six. Tibil and Kalinin scored first-set 6-0 wins en route to their victories.
"We definitely struggled in the windy conditions to start today, but fought hard and pulled out a close one against a good NIU team," said head coach Lee Nickell. "We have a lot of work to do this week to prepare for Ball State on Saturday."
The Ball State match, to be played in Muncie, IN, will be for the league's regular season title. Both squads are undefeated in conference play with the Cardinals standing 2-0 in league play, having defeated Toledo and Western Michigan by 4-3 margins with three matches, including the UB contest, remaining on their schedule.
Buffalo 5, Northern Illinois 2
1. Kirill Kolomyts/Marcelo Mazetto (UB) def. Mikhail Titov/Roman Turtygin (NIU), 8-2
2. Maximilian Phillips/Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Wojciech Starakiewicz/George Tibil (UB), 8-6
3. Javier Bernabe/Greg Czajkowski (NIU) def. Alex Kalinin/Mitch Zenaty (UB), 9-8 (7-5)
1. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB), 7-5, 6-2
2. Marcelo Mazetto (UB) def. Mikhail Titov (NIU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Kirill Kolomyts (UB) def. Javier Bernabe (NIU), 5-7, 6-2, 10-4
4. George Tibil (UB) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU), 6-0, 6-4
5. Vusa Hove (UB) def. Maximilian Phillips (NIU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Kalinin (UB) def. Greg Czajkowski (NIU), 6-0, 6-2