Men's Tennis Scores Milestone Win Over Brown, 4-3
PROVIDENCE, RI – The Lee Nickell era got off to a milestone start on Saturday afternoon as the University at Buffalo men's tennis team scored the program's first ever victory over an Ivy League opponent with a 4-3 win at Brown in the dual season opener for both squads.
UB opened the match by sweeping the doubles matches with three victories. At number one, Wojciech Starakiewicz and Kirill Kolomytsknocked off Charlie Posner and Kendrick Au, 8-7. At number two, UB's Marcelo Mazzetto and George Tibil defeated Nathaniel Gorham and Timmy Klanke. The third doubles duo of Alex Kalinin and Mitch Zenaty defeated Luciano Musella and Tom Deighton, 8-4.
The teams split the singles matches as the Bulls scored victories at the number one, two and five slots. Starakiewicz, ranked sixth in the Northeast and 107th nationally scored a straight sets win over Au, 7-6, 6-4. Mazzetto also picked up a straight sets win at number two with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Gorham.
With the Bulls ahead 3-2 in the match, UB got the clinching point from Tibil as the freshman scored a 6-3, 6-3 win over Musella.
The victory over Brown marks the first time in school history that the Bulls have defeated an Ivy League program, known for producing strong men's tennis squads. The victory was also the first collegiate win for Nickell as a head coach.
"I am very proud of our team today and am especially happy for our seniors," said Nickell. "We played a complete match, and we are excited for our match against Bryant tomorrow."
The Bulls will face Bryant at 9:00 am on Sunday.
Buffalo 4, Brown 3
1. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Kirill Kolomyts (UB) d. Charlie Posner/Kendrick Au (BU), 8-7
2. Marcelo Mazzetto/George Tibil (UB) d. Nathaniel Gorham/Timmy Klanke (BU), 8-5
3. Alex Kalinin/Mitch Zenaty d. Luciano Musella/Tom Deighton (BU), 8-4
1. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) d. Kendrick Au (BU), 7-6, 6-4
2. Marcelo Mazzetto (UB) d. Nathaniel Gorham (BU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Mike Hill (BU) d. Kirill Kolomyts (UB), 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
4. Timmy Klanke (BU) d. Alex Kalinin (UB), 6-2, 6-4
5. George Tibil (UB) d. Luciano Musella (BU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Tom Deighton (BU) d. Mitch Zenaty (UB), 2-6 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)