BUFFALO, NY - The University at Buffalo football team continued spring drills Saturday morning with their third scrimmage of the spring at UB Stadium. With the sun shining down, it seemed like a perfect day for football. The energy has been high and players are excited to be on the field competing against each other. The only thought on their minds is focusing and getting better every snap.
The defense showed they are still a step ahead of the offense. Senior cornerback Dominic Cook led the way with a pair of interceptions and a breakup. Offensively, the Bulls showed they have the leadership and players needed to make plays. The offense was slow at the start, but was able to get into a rhythm and complete some passes and knock off a few good runs.
"I feel good going out there with my teammates behind me," said Cook. "We have a lot of good leadership skills out there, which is what we need to win a championship. We are doing some good things on defense; we are adjusting well to the pace of the offense."
Here are some highlights from Saturday's scrimmage:
• Quarterback Jerry Davis threw a nice pass to tight end
Dante Burton for a touchdown.
• Linebacker Justin Winters intercepted a pass that was in and out of the hands of wide receiver Fred Lee.
• Cornerback Domonic Cook had a pair of interceptions, a diving effort to catch the ball in front of receiver Fred Lee, then jumped a route and intercepted the ball in front of Lee in the end zone.
• Wide receiver Saron Hood split two defenders to catch a pass from quarterback Alex Dennison and sprinted down the sideline.
• Wide receiver Fred Lee showed nice concentration while going up for a pass in the back of the end zone.
• Jaleel Verser recovered a fumble and rumbled down the field for 40 yards.
• Running back Branden Oliver got to the outside, and stiff armed the defender as he ran into the end zone.
• Defensive lineman Albert Sparks was able to penetrate and stuff the run a couple times.
• Kicker A.J. Principe made a 43-yard field goal into the wind.
• Cornerback Josh Copeland tackled running back Brandon Thermilus for a 5-yard loss.
Play of the Day:
Wide receiver Fred Lee made a diving catch in the end zone knocking over the defender.
Hit of the Day:
Cornerback Carlos Lammons made a textbook tackle on running back Brandon Thermilus sending him head over heels and forcing a fumble.
Thoughts from Coach Quinn:
"I was very pleased with the defense. Offensively, today I wanted to see how these young men would respond to some challenging situations. We see every day that we have some good players in this program; we're just trying to get them to feel comfortable and confident with what we're doing and to be consistent every snap. We just need to do a better job, blocking, catching, throwing, and clicking together as a team."
The Bulls continue spring drills on Tuesday, April 13 at UB Stadium
Written by Zach Ruske