Student-Athlete Tutoring Program
Student Athlete Responsibility
Tutoring is free of charge, and is open to any active student-athlete currently on a roster and enrolled at UB. We try our best to provide you with a tutor for each class that you request assistance. In return, we ask that you follow these guidelines to ensure a helpful tutoring experience.
Expectations of Student Athletes:
- Tutoring should be used to supplement class lectures. It is essential that you continue to attend all classes. The role of the tutor is to review material.
- Student-Athletes are expected to bring all class materials to tutoring sessions, and that homework should be seriously attempted before requesting assistance.
- Student-Athletes are expected to arrive on time to each session.
- Inform your tutor of exams, and prepare for them well ahead of time. Tutors may not be available the night before an exam.
- All tutoring should occur within Athlete Academic Services in Alumni Arena (Room 200, and for certain occurrences Room 161). Tutors and Student Athletes should NOT meet in the libraries.
- Exchange contact information with your tutor, and keep their email/phone number in a safe place.
- To know what to expect from your tutor, please visit the “Tutor Responsibility and Role” page.
Attendance and Cancelations of Tutoring Appointments:
- Upon requesting a tutor, the student athlete should expect an email from the tutor coordinator or SAMS computer system informing them of a new appointment. Please check your UB email frequently!!
- Student Athletes are required to attend all tutoring sessions.
- If a session needs to be canceled or adjusted, please inform
your tutor immediately. If you cannot contact your tutor,
please contact Academic Services at 645-5533.
- If a session needs to be canceled, you must do so 24 hours ahead of time by email, or 4 hours ahead of time by phone to avoid inconveniencing your tutor, and causing a no-show report to be generated.
- If a student athlete fails to show to an appointment without notice, or with too short of notice, a no-show report will be generated, and the academic advisor will be notified. Student athletes have 24 hours to appeal a no-show report, or else will be charged for the missed appointment. After 3 charged no-shows, tutor privileges will be revoked, and sessions will be canceled.
- If at any time you are unhappy, or feel your tutoring needs are not being met, please contact the tutorial coordinator or your academic advisor. You may also send an email to our general office address: email@example.com
The success of your tutoring experience is dependent upon the collaboration of both the tutor and student athlete. Both parties are expected to carry out his or her roles and responsibilities as set forth in the guidelines.